Apple Pie Contest 2003 Spring Ledge Farm
By October 8, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 pie
Winning Entry - Nancy Smith
- 1 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T. sugar
- 3 T. lard chilled
- 3 T. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cold heavy cream or ice water
- 6-7 apples peeled, cored and sliced (cortlands)
- a lot of brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- For Crust:
In a large bowl or the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt and
- Cut the lard and butter into the flour until it resembles coarse
meal. Add the cream gradually and mix until the dough comes together and
forms a ball.
- Lightly knead the dough until smooth and refrigerate, well
wrapped, until needed, at least 30 minutes. Makes one 9 inch pie shell.
- For Filling:
Mix together sugars, add a bit of flour, maybe a couple of tablespoons. set
aside. Peel apples and slice making a layer with half the apples.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over apples sprinkle a little cinnamon, do another layer of
apples, sprinkle with a little more brown sugar, cinnamon and dot with
- Place your top crust. Make a few slits on top to release steam, you
can also brush your crust with a little heavy cream to make it a nice golden
color. experiment with the sugars to make it your own.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress